|B.C. Backpacking Adventures are located on the westcoast of Canada. It is the 3rd largest province and consists of mountain ranges and two-thirds of the province is covered in forest. [ Link ]|
|Alberta Backpacking Adventures are located in a western Canadian prairie province which is home to the Rocky Mountain Range, Boreal Forest, chain of lakes and hoodoos. [ Link ]|
|Saskatchewan Backpacking Adventures are located in a central prairie province which is home to historical sites, Boreal Forest, grasslands, Canadian Shield and 10,000 lakes. [ Link ]|
|Yukon Hiking Adventures are located in a wilderness environment with looming mountains, glaciers, rivers and wildlife. Home to historic trails and the Northern Lights. [ Link ]|
|NWT Hiking Adventures are located in a wilderness environment at the doorway to the Arctic Circle. Home to waterfalls, lakes, wildlife, the Canadian Shield, hiking trails & the Northern Lights. [ Link ]|
Canada backpacking adventures are some of the most talked about backpacking experiences in the world. Some Canadian backpacking routes are on the cover of magazines and on TOP 10 lists!
Canada backpacking can be enjoyed in every season in many parts of of the country.
However, most Canadian backpacking adventures are planned during the spring, summer and fall seasons. There are backpacking adventures following historic pioneer routes, ocean shorelines, chain of lakes, mountain ridges, alpine valleys, forests, heritage rivers, glaciers and more.
In Canada many long haul backpacking adventures lead to wilderness campsites. In many cases the routes are well marked with signage, flags, rock piles and/or tree markers. Along each route are designated campgrounds.
Many of the wilderness campgrounds include tent pads, pit toilets and food caches. Backpackers need to be cautious in the Canadian wilderness and be alert at all times and, at no time,should backpackers make contact with wildlife.
There are self guided and tour groups providing backpacking adventures in Canada. Good planning, good equipment and survival skills are all a must for any self guided backpacking adventure.
For the less experienced hiker there are backpacking tour groups and guiding companies located throughout the country. Most tours and guides are located in areas where backpacking trails are high in numbers. Tour groups and guides provide, in many cases, the transportation to and from the trailhead, the equipment, all meals and an experienced interpretive guide.
Some Canada Backpacking Tips
- prepare for all weather conditions. Weather changes fast in Canada.
- always pack plastic bags or wrap with you to keep clothes dry.
- always let someone know your trip plan.
- never approach or feed wildlife.
- do not bite off more than you can chew. Plan trips based on your fitness level and experience.
- pack your backpack from light to heavy from the bottom up so to take less weight on your shoulders.
- always wear good hiking boots.
- flip batteries around so it does not turn on while in your pack and when you need it the batteries are dead.
- always carry a lighter or water proof matches.
- bring clothes so you can dress in layers.
- when hiking in bear country... move together as a group and keep talking so bears know you are coming.
Most Popular Winter Adventures
Canada Wildlife ... learn more about wildlife like bears, moose, bison, cougar, caribou, fox and more.