Canada XC Skiing (Cross Country Skiing)
Adventure travel planning guide
|B.C. XC Ski Adventures are located on the westcoast of Canada. It is the 3rd largest province in Canada with many ski mountains, xc ski nordic centres and backcountry wilderness ski resorts. [ Link ]|
|Alberta XC Ski Adventures are located in a western Canadian prairie province which is home to the Rocky Mountains and some very large alpine nordic centres and extensive trail systems. [ Link ]|
|Saskatchewan XC Ski Adventures are located in a central prairie province which is home to some large nature parks and communities with developed alpine nordic centres and trail networks. . [ Link ]|
|Yukon XC Ski Adventures are located in a wilderness environment surrounded by mountain ranges, wilderness lodges and frozen alpine lakes and rivers providing great xc ski adventures. [ Link ]|
Canada (xc) cross country skiing is, both, a recreational activity and a means of transportation during the winter season for many communities where the high levels of snowfall is very common.
Canada cross country skiing provides a great opportunity for sightseeing during the winter season. The self guided skier, the tour groups and the nordic alpine centres all enjoy winter scenery which otherwise would not be accessible during the season.
In Canada cross country skiing is enjoyed exploring snow covered backcountry gravel roads, spur roads, community pathways and backcountry trails. After the snow falls and the temperatures drop the rivers and lakes in Canada freeze over and many become cross country ski routes as well.
Canadian ski resorts also cater to the xc skier. The lower slopes on some mountains at some ski resorts are designated for xc skiers. There are also developed areas in some communities which cater to xc skiers called alpine nordic resorts. These resorts and ski mountains maintain xc ski trails and provide equipment, lessons and a lodge in many cases.
The remote xc ski adventure is best served by staying with a backcountry wilderness resort, lodge or retreat which caters to xc skiing. The trails are remote and the scenery is everywhere. Most resorts provide tours, guides and lessons.
In prime cross country ski country there are communities with cross country ski shops providing ski rentals, clothing and equipment. The nordic lodges and ski hills are also a good source for equipment rentals, ski information and lessons.
Some Canada Cross Country Skiing Tips
- always cross country ski within your abilities.
- confirm that lessons and rentals are available if need be.
- research your xc ski destination (ski hill, nordic centre or backcountry lodge) as per your preferences.
- bring sunglasses and ski goggles as the snow reflects light making it very bright on the eyes.
- xc ski in groups, so there is some conversation.
- try to ski with someone who knows what they are doing for tips on xc skiing.
- do not ski under the influence of alcohol.
- dress slightly warmer than if you were heading out for a winter run. Do not over dress.
- bring dry clothes for a change of clothes at the end of the day.
- carry a lightweight backpack packed with water, snacks, tissues, a camera and cell phone.
- pack electronics in plastic bag for protection from snow and wet conditions.
- pack lip balm for chap lips.
- lock your vehicle when out skiing.
Most Popular Winter Adventures
Canada Wildlife ... learn more about wildlife like bears, moose, bison, cougar, caribou, fox and more.